In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful...

As-salamu Alaykum (peace be upon you), and welcome to this year's on-line poetry blog, where you can vote for the best poems in each category. In order for this contest to be fair, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:

1. Vote for one poem only in each category: Youth, Adult, and IWA Member (polls are to the left of this page)

2. Do not vote for the same poem multiple times.

3. Do not tell friends and family members which poem is yours so they can vote for your entry. Poems should be judged on their merits and adherence to the theme of IMAN.

Remember that Allah (SWT) is All-Seeing and All-Knowing.

Note: You don't have to be a member of the Islamic Writers Alliance to vote for your favorite poems. Voting is open to the general public.

Voting ends on June 30, 2008.

Don't see your entry?
Contact us at poetrycontest@islamicwritersalliance.net. This may be due an unfortunate oversight or your poem may not have qualified for inclusion.



Sunday, May 18, 2008

ID#: IWAPoetry4Adult1002

My Iman Lies Within Me...

Preserved like a precious pink pearl
Buried deep in my heart
My Iman lies within me

The media disguises my Iman led life
as a misery and oppression
But what can you believe of the television?

As I walk down the street
Set free and complete
But with my veil surrounding me...

The stares and the jokes
With which they try to provoke
yet my Iman still lies within me..


I remove from myself
the beautiful smells
of things which may allure me...
Towards sinfulness and greed
Of which I do not need...
this Iman which lies within me...


Slowly it grows like a seed or a stone
Which bears fruit once it is stronger...
Then I will taste the reward
for the tears and sores...
Because of this Iman which lies within me (insh'allah)

The smile I pass to a sister blessed
Inspired by the Iman which lies within me...

The charity given from an empty purse
Reimbursed by the Iman which lies within me...

The bread which I give to the hungry birds
Satisfies the Iman which lies within me...

The helping hand which aids the old
Strengthened by the Iman which lies within me...

At the end of the day When I finish my prayer
Asking my lord to forgive me
"Replenish my Iman so that I may again start
another day," ‌says the Iman which lies within me

But if Allah you choose
To break me loose
From the chains of this dunya

Then bless me and save me
Forgive me and shelter me
From the punishment of the aakhirah!

Patience is gold and holds reward
The prophets saying
which lies within me..
Be patient and plead
That Allah accepts your deeds..
Say the Iman which lies within me...

As I stand to pray on yet another day
I thank Allah for the opportunity

Ya rabbil aalameen!
You are the most supreme
Protect this Iman, which lies within me.

1 comment:

Mrs. Jamie said...

ASA All,

I am a bit diappointed and it seems that voting is not unbiased. Please do not give voting instructions. The Adult and Member category are not reflective of voting as a thought process, but as per instructions. I apoligize if I am wrong, but the numbers are clear.