In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful...

As-salamu Alaykum (peace be upon you), and welcome to this year's on-line poetry blog, where you can vote for the best poems in each category. In order for this contest to be fair, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:

1. Vote for one poem only in each category: Youth, Adult, and IWA Member (polls are to the left of this page)

2. Do not vote for the same poem multiple times.

3. Do not tell friends and family members which poem is yours so they can vote for your entry. Poems should be judged on their merits and adherence to the theme of IMAN.

Remember that Allah (SWT) is All-Seeing and All-Knowing.

Note: You don't have to be a member of the Islamic Writers Alliance to vote for your favorite poems. Voting is open to the general public.

Voting ends on June 30, 2008.

Don't see your entry?
Contact us at poetrycontest@islamicwritersalliance.net. This may be due an unfortunate oversight or your poem may not have qualified for inclusion.



Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ID#: IWAPoetry4Member700

A Living Faith

i breathed into a jar
perhaps i could see my soul
and know which shape
this faith would take
so i could clutch it
and never ever lose it

‘It’s there’

inside my heart i searched
feeling around with my hands
careful not to block the arteries
and exclamations in between
then in my brain i did the same
feeling my way through the folds
and question marks within

‘It’s there’

perhaps i should search for belief
if found, then faith should be near
somewhere in my reason and feelings
i could find their tracks
and understand
so my mouth won’t utter a noise
of contradictions, of confusions

perhaps i should look behind me
what my tracks have left behind
faith might be in my treaded path
taking the form of actions
beyond uttered words and sentiments

‘Aah, it’s there’

listen with me
my human nature speaking
voiced like a breeze
a universal language
time is now fluid, dimensions now a mirage
what i barely noticed
is stepping into my vision
tapping into my innate fuel
a supply of faith
driving my path


With those pendulum thoughts
The night rocked me to sleep

And with those same thoughts
Dawn lifted my eyelids

See it with me
Splendors of early morning
Changing hues, varying tunes
Energy rising beneath the darkness
Welcoming the break of dawn
Crawling, walking, flying creatures
Celebrating the new day
There was passion

I bow down in praise

There it was
All around me, beyond my ‘I’
Energy so vast, in many forms
A faith beheld
The fuel of life

No comments: