In the Name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful...

As-salamu Alaykum (peace be upon you), and welcome to this year's on-line poetry blog, where you can vote for the best poems in each category. In order for this contest to be fair, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:

1. Vote for one poem only in each category: Youth, Adult, and IWA Member (polls are to the left of this page)

2. Do not vote for the same poem multiple times.

3. Do not tell friends and family members which poem is yours so they can vote for your entry. Poems should be judged on their merits and adherence to the theme of IMAN.

Remember that Allah (SWT) is All-Seeing and All-Knowing.

Note: You don't have to be a member of the Islamic Writers Alliance to vote for your favorite poems. Voting is open to the general public.

Voting ends on June 30, 2008.

Don't see your entry?
Contact us at poetrycontest@islamicwritersalliance.net. This may be due an unfortunate oversight or your poem may not have qualified for inclusion.



Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ID#: IWAPoetry4Member600

The Rain and Me

I sit and I wonder through thunder
While
Rain drops
Fall
One
By
One
Hitting the earth,
Mathematically
Accounted for -
Significant
To me
For your see -
Each drop
Was placed by Allah’s
Decree
How beautiful it would be
To me
To have -
My each and every move -
Ment
Flow rhythmically
Starting with
Bismillah
To Allahoo Akbar over
Through Subhanallah up
By Mashallah down
To Alhamdulee’lah
Submitting and
Manifesting and just
Oozing out
Through
My pores
Nothing more
Nothing less
But this blessed
Deen
I mean
Just
So fresh
And oh so
Clean – truly living
Islamically
I know when some people look
To me
They have
Their negative ones, twos, and threes
I’d be lying
If I said it didn’t
Faze me
Or that I wouldn’t be
Happy
If they rather had
Praise for me - (astaghfirullah)
Ya Rabee
Remove this vainness
From me
I don’t want to meet You
Covered in shame –
With my deeds empty –
Less than plenty
For having done them for
Other than your
Greatness
So with this wudu
I purify my intentions
And call upon You
By the Best of names
Pray janaza over my own
Naf’s games
Ending with a supplication
To remain
Steadfast
And
For Allah
To keep me reminded
Of Him as
My First
And
My Last.
That’s the contrast
Between the rain
And me
For you see
Now through thunder
I have found clarity

No comments: